Friday, January 3, 2014

30 Days, We Made It!

Lesson 1: Be Joyful. Seek the joy of being alive. 

And here we are: the culminating lesson - that which brings them all together.  Plus, it is my favorite of the 12 Woodcraft Laws (mentioned in earlier lessons.  If you aren’t familiar, look them up).  It really does speak for itself, especially in light of the other lessons.   It is not just a lesson I have learned, but a rule by which I aim to live.  When I first heard these words spoken, I was 12 years old.  I immediately connected with them, feeling a sense of quiet peace at the idea of being joyful.  I didn’t have a full understanding of what it meant, but something in the idea really spoke to me.  Over the years (the last 18, eek!), I have come back to this phrase over and over again, always with the same peaceful result.  So, what does it mean to be joyful?  Don’t confuse the idea with being happy – being joyful is not the same thing as being happy, although one can definitely result from the other.  Happiness is an emotion that often occurs as the result of something good happening – you reach a goal; you realize a love for someone who loves you back; you finally beat your own personal best score in Scramble with Friends.  It happens suddenly, spontaneously, and often without your preparation for it.  Authentic happiness can’t be created artificially, it just happens.  Being joyful, though, is an active state of being that can be solely controlled and sought by you.  I think that people often think they can seek out happiness, but often find that it is an elusive entity.  As a fleeting emotion, it can’t be chased or caught.  Being joyful, though, is so much more than a mere emotion.  Joy is finding that thrill of being alive – whatever makes that thrill real for you.  It is a challenging enterprise to identify the things that truly bring you joy and can often be an exercise in both honesty and sheer experimentation.  But, once you identify what those joys are and you seek to live for and through those joys, however they present themselves, you find a reason to not just wake up, but jump out of bed in the morning (ok, maybe not every morning, but many of them).  Each day, I strive to find those joys that make my heart smile and bring the thrill of being alive to reality: the look on my daughter’s face when I enter her room in the morning; the bliss of writing something that really means something to me; sharing an evening with people who love, respect and understand me; walking one path with my husband.  These are just some of the joys I have found – with many more to come, I’m sure.  What brings you joy every day?  Are you in tune with these things?  Don’t just recommit to your habits every morning, seek out what brings meaning to your life.  No one can be in charge of this search but you and you shouldn’t want anyone to be.  Be joyful because it feels good; because it’s contagious; and because it can help define what it truly means for you to be alive.

Lesson 2: Own your age…your real age. 
Because this is a birthday generated list, I put this one toward the top of the heap.  I have never really been one of those girls who hated to admit my age.  Of course, I was always in my 20’s or younger when that was the case, so maybe that’s the difference.  Even then, though, I had friends and met other women who were always denying their age by a few years.  Now, when I was younger, I easily passed for an older age, which I definitely tried to get away with.  Never for a bad girl reason, though, like sneaking into bars or buying cigarettes, (I was kind of a goody), but more for fun to see how old I could “pass” for.  For instance, when I was a teenager and travelling by myself, alone on a plane or bus, people would often assume that I was heading back to college.  When they asked what year I was in, I would say sophomore, but may have forgotten to also specify that that meant sophomore in high school.  I was always shocked that no one ever questioned my age - it felt rebellious and exhilarating.  Now that I am older, though, and at an age that many women fear reaching, I don’t deny how many years I have attained on this planet.  After all, for many years, I couldn’t wait to be in my late twenties or early thirties just for the mere credibility that comes with it.  Although I don’t claim to be an expert on anything, I do think I am a good listener with a solid understanding of the ways in which people interact; therefore, I'd say I'm pretty good at giving advice.  One of the things that has always driven me crazy, though, is when someone would tell me “Oh, you are so young, you couldn’t possibly know…” or “You haven’t seen enough of the world to really understand…”  Ooh, like nails on a chalkboard.  Who are you to know how much of the world I have seen and what I have learned?  Invalidation based on age was always one of the biggest insults I have ever received and is exactly why I couldn’t wait to be 30 when I was younger.  It's also one of the reasons I always wanted to work with adolescents - to provide them with an ear for listening, who wouldn't shirk their perspective.  At any rate, a while back, I heard a quote that really put into words the idea behind why I never deny my age: "When you lie about your age you are denying that part of your life. You are denying the years that you have earned here on the planet Earth. ...You are denying your very existence." Damn it if I haven’t earned every single year that I have lived in this place.  It’s been hard work and every single year that has gone by has brought me somewhere, someone, or something that I needed to find along my way.  Some years were harder than others, sometimes making me wish that I could just take a pass on it and move on to the next one.  And, although there were some incredibly fun and wonderful chunks of time, I would never want to relive any one of the years I have already seen.  16 was awful, 21 was fine, but I’d never want to relive what was going on in my head back then, and 25 was a blast, but boy did it take its toll on my emotional stamina.  I was happy to live all of those ages, but will say “no thanks” to a second time around.  I don't want to be 25 for the 5th time.  I look forward to the years that are ahead of me.  I feel like I get better every single year, learning more about myself, the world around me and the place that I want to hold in it.  I’m just hitting my stride and am excited for all of the possibilities my 30's hold.  I really do believe that you are only as old as you feel and, up until this point, I always felt older than my age indicated.  Finally, I’m starting to reach a point where I’m moving in the other direction – the number is getting higher, but the way I feel is younger and more alive. 

Lesson 3: Say I love you and mean it. 
This is as straightforward and simple as they get, but ever so important.  Despite this fact, I was telling someone recently about my list and they thought it was sad that I had to learn this lesson.  Not sad/pathetic, sad/unfortunate, just to clarify.  I was surprised that she wasn’t aware of how scared people are to say these 3 little words.  In my experience, these can be the scariest 3 little words you ever came across.  But, I also want to clarify that I don’t just mean “I Love You” romantically, but I mean it in every relationship and situation in which it is applicable.  Say “I love you” to your friends, to your siblings, and say it to your parents.  I actually realized the need for this lesson because of how I used to feel about saying “I love you” to members of my family.  We have not always been the most emotionally available group of people.  I actually remember feeling a strange sense of awkwardness saying it to my mother and my brother when I was a teenager and had decided that I was tired of not only not saying it, but not hearing it with regularity.  I said it to my mom one day before I left for school and added a kiss and a hug and I hadn’t seen her so taken aback in a while.  But, once we started to say it on a regular basis, it filled me with such a sense of happiness and relief.  I started saying it to all of my family members and it felt so good to really get it out there to the people I loved.  I made a decision to own those three words and never apologize for feeling them or saying them, whether they were returned or not.  Fast forward to when I practically blurted it out to Ryan when I had only been dating him a few weeks.  This was definitely my boldest “I love you” moment and I remember the shock in his face when I alerted him of my feelings.  But I stand by my truth and reiterated to him that I didn’t expect to hear it back, only that I felt it necessary to be honest and let him know how I felt.  My friends thought I was nuts, but my gamble worked out…eventually.  “I love you” is a pretty powerful phrase that should be shared, but of course, with meaning.  If you feel it, you should say it.  You never know when someone is not only listening, but really needs to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment