Monday, December 30, 2013

30 Days Continued...

Lesson 19: Negativity breeds negativity:

The same goes for positivity, really.  The short point is that you are a reflection of who you surround yourself with and you reflect the energy that those people bring to you. Example: If you have ever been in a conversation with someone who tends toward a negative perspective, you might find yourself falling easily into a negative space with them.  It starts with an inconsequential comment about someone you both know and before you know it, you’re both in Negativetown.  It probably doesn’t happen purposefully and one might not even notice that the conversation has turned thus.  But, if you are a generally positive person, it’s likely that you pick up on the change pretty quickly.  Haters gonna hate and there’s not much you can do to change that; however, choosing to surround yourself with people who are negative is an active decision.  You see, you are not only responsible for the energy you bring into a room (or relationship) but you are also responsible for the energy you allow to surround you.  I have always tried to be a pretty positive person.  Some might call that an optimist; however, I have come to identify myself as more of a positive realist  (I’ve always felt like the title “optimist” held some kind of naïve connotation).  At any rate, I like to look at the bright side, I try to find a silver lining, and I always try to see the lesson or value in a terrible situation. In my youth, because of my environment, I could very easily have become sullen, negative, or mean.  However, I always surrounded myself with really positive people, which helped me from diverting away from my positive leaning. I didn’t realize until I left that comfortable sphere just how lucky I was then and still am in those friends, teachers and family or how the negativity of others can be so influential.  Maintaining this positive outlook and support system hasn’t always been easy – trust me.  But, when the chips are down, you need people around you to help foster that sense of positivity to keep you moving forward.   Sometimes it is the absolute hardest thing to do, especially when creating that positive space means walking away from people you have known for years.  Now, I am a big believer in the need to really feel your grief, if that is what you are going through; however, there is a big difference between grief and negativity.  I have felt my share of grief and have learned that knowing that that grief has a purpose or an end (which it always does) is a hopeful outlook.  Luxuriating in your grief without purpose and, in turn, spreading it around is negativity.  I have met these people and that kind of energy is addictive.  Learn for yourself how to tell the difference, if you haven’t already.  It may be what helps you work through difficulties and what exacerbates them even more.

Lesson 20: Be about it:
This little ditty is something that I started saying when I was teaching at EBMI.  It just came out during a class one day and stuck with me from then on.  As any of my students can attest, I said it quite frequently (some know this more than others, because I had to say it to them OFTEN).  The essence of this lesson, though, is that the most effective route to anything is to show don’t tell. Everyone, including me, can talk a big game about anything.  Talking is easy.  Don’t talk about it.  BE ABOUT IT.  In a grammatical sense, the verb “be” is a very slippery thing.  When used as I am using it, it is in an active state.  But, it can very easily turn into something passive if you let it.  Same goes with goals or anything else.  Why do New Year’s resolutions often fail?  Because people talk about it on New Year’s Eve, but fail to BE about it every day after.  As I told my students, it takes a fair amount of effort, work and dedication to Be About It - it is not easy and isn't meant to be.  But no good thing in life is easy.  With my students, I was so tired of hearing, “yeah, I’m going to finish that.  Yeah, I want to be better.  Yeah, I promise Ms. Heather, next time I’m going to….” It went on and on, typically without reward.  I got in the habit of stopping the sentence before it started, to say, “You know what (fill in name here), I don’t want you to tell me about it.  I just want you to be about it, ok?”  And that seemed to get through.  For myself, I have to constantly refocus to maintain a certain level of productive activity that keeps me “being” about my goals.  If you want to lose weight, don’t talk about how you want to do it, just start moving.  If you want to talk to your loved ones more often, don’t talk about how many obstacles are in your way, spend that time picking up the phone instead.  The amount of time that I have spent in the past talking about why I can’t do one thing or what is holding me back from this other thing is depressing.  It’s an easy pit to fall into.  Actually, it happened to me with this post.  Yesterday was a long day and I kept falling asleep at the computer while writing.  This morning, I was really feeling that sluggish, “I just don’t wanna” vibe when I sat down to finish.  Then I laughed when I reread my topic, thinking, “this is perfect, Heather, just shut up and BE about it!!”  Say it how you like, “Show don’t tell” “Little less talk, a lot more action”  “Walk the walk” “Just Do It” – it all amounts to the same thing.  In order to maintain a forward motion in any pursuit – Be. About. It.

Lesson 21: When You Know Better, You Do Better:
This is actually a quote from Maya Angelou that I heard a while back and it instantly struck a chord with me.   You often hear people say, “well, you didn’t know any better” or “You definitely should have known better.”  Seems like an easy thing to say, but the truth is, we don’t always “know better” do we?  Life is one big classroom where you are constantly learning how to do things the right way, because most of the time, this behavior doesn’t necessarily come naturally.  Ms. Angelou, appropriate to my theme, says, “You did in your 20’s what you knew how to do and now that you’re in your 30s and you know better, you do better.”  My teen years and early 20’s were definitely a mess of hard lessons against an ugly backdrop.  I was always trying to make the right decisions, but as anyone who has been that age before can attest, it’s sometimes an impossible task.  For a long time, I carried my past life and experiences around with me in heavy, invisible suitcases.  That baggage was not only bulky and awkward, but incredibly exhausting day in and day out.  When I heard this quote, though, I realized that I was holding myself hostage to those experiences – punishing myself, or pitying myself, or whatever I could to deal with them.  The truth is, though, none of it was working to help me move forward or learn anything – I was just in a continual state of suffering, judging myself every day for what had transpired long ago.   You don’t have to be who you were and you don’t have to continue doing what you did.  Therein lies the lesson – you didn’t know better and now you do; so, you do better.  You should not be judged in this moment for the person you were 2, 5, or 10 years ago; but, instead the person you are now and are trying to become.  Your past shouldn’t bring shame or embarrassment – own it, it’s what taught you to know how to do better.  I’m proud of all that I’ve been through up to this point.  It’s been a full 30 years so far and, with what I have gained in that time, it should be an even better, wiser, more confident 30 years to come.  I’m so ready to hit my stride in my 30’s and not at all ashamed to say my age.  I say, bring it on – I’ve got knowhow to spare and I ain’t afraid to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment