Monday, February 10, 2014

A Long Needed Change

I make things.  It's sort what I do - something I'm proud of.  I have always joked about this with people, typically when I first meet them and they have experienced something I have created.  I say, "Oh, it's nothing, I make things - yummy foods, crafty things, beautiful babies, long flowing locks, the list goes on."  So that's the joke. 

But, for real, I love to make things.  One item on this list that I end up creating, though, that doesn't take much effort and tends to be more inadvertent than anything, is my hair.  I have always had exceptionally long hair.  It grows at an alarming rate.  When I was younger, I didn't get my hair cut or done very often because it wasn't that important to me and I felt like it was an expense that we probably could do without.  Plus, in the frigid Northeast, super long locks kept my neck warm on days when I forgot my scarf.  When I got to college, though, my Sophomore year roommate saw a picture of me from 5th grade in which I looked almost exactly the same as the present day.  Between that and my admission that I couldn't remember the last time I had my hair cut, she dragged me to the mall, made me cover my eyes and, behind my back, told the stylist how much hair to cut off.  Now, of course, I was a willing participant in this adventure and felt a sense of freedom and relief with my new, very short hairdo; however, it took her motivation (and her car) to get me in the chair in the first place.  For that I was so grateful.

Since then, I have had a handful of experiences in cutting my hair off, but usually after having let it grow for what many might consider an inappropriately long amount of time.  These days, if my hair is crazy long, it is probably because I have every intention of getting it cut and, inevitably, don't.  And not because I don't want to get my hair cut, it is just the item on my "To Do" list that tends to get kicked to the bottom over other, higher priority items.  I had every intention of cutting off my lengthy locks back in May before my husband came home from deployment.  However, at his request, I kept it long until he got home, swearing I'd cut it within a week of his return.  Needless to say, that didn't happen.  I got so swept up in his homecoming, the trips we took and the huge move to Monterey, my hair just didn't make the cut.  Ha, *ba dum bum*. 

Well, friends, here I am again at the end of a long road of hair making and have finally gotten up the gumption to cut off my long lengths.  I owe it all to my friend Kristin, who I was visiting in Steamboat Springs, CO on my first momcation away from my kiddo.  She had already scheduled a hair appointment for herself and, knowing my desire to make this much needed change, asked if while her hair was setting if I could get my hair cut.  The stylist, who was appropriately named Savannah, jumped at the opportunity to help me recreate my look.  As always, any time I cut my hair off I donate whatever I can.  Last time I did Locks of Love, so this time I chose to do Pantene Beautiful Lengths.  After over 2 years of growth, with quick trims here and there, I give you the full length:
When I stand up, it touches my butt...

The 2 12 inch ponies

And the after shot! 
 
So, there you have it!  14 inches later (the 12 inche ponytails plus what was taken off to straighten and layer it) and people keep telling me it is still really long.  I have to admit, even after two weeks, it feels like it's practically at my ears.  I really love it, though, and with my aim to make 2014 a fantastic year, I have a renewed commitment to make an effort in this area!  A weight has been lifted and I'm starting the new year off right.  Anyone want to take bets on how long I end up going before I get around to cutting it again?





No comments:

Post a Comment