Saturday, January 8, 2011

Epic Fail

To all of you, albeit few, readers who once enjoyed my lengthly ramblings, I sincerely apologize. As so many who have gone before me have done, I fell out of touch with my blogging. I could blame time, or life, or the cats - but who wants excuses? I've thought about writing a lot, but just didn't bother sitting down to record any of it. Unfortunately, because of my neglect many interesting thoughts have been lost; however, on a positive note, there will be more to come, I swear! Although I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, I have sort of made just one: commit to my writing in one way or another. Thinking thoughts, as a writer, is pretty much a moot point if you don't commit them to paper. As the brilliant Lucas once said, "Who knows where thoughts come from? They just appear." Well, that may be true, but honestly, at least in this brain, they appear and then evaporate quickly while new ones take their places. So many great thoughts have been lost over the last months that could have been wonderful pieces of writing. Epic Fail.

I know where it started. I can pinpoint the moment when the failure began. I will preface by stating this is not an excuse, merely an exploration of where I went wrong. Back in the spring when I was posting my travel journal, I had an epic computer failure. I contracted an evil virus which I had to have wiped from my hard drive. This kept me away from my trusty keyboarded companion for a little while. That was just before I posted the last entry. THEN, I had a reoccurence of the virus. Well, at this point, I just turned off the internet on my laptop, which is where the problem was emanating from, and, irresponsibly, continued to type on the computer. Well, unfortunately all of my pictures are on that computer and, without internet, could not be posted to the blog. This led to a thought process of how complicated it would be to transfer them to the husband's computer to upload, etc. etc. I.E. Heather got lazy and uninspired. And so it began. I felt like I couldn't continue writing until I finished the project I had begun. I am a stickler for finishing what I start. I created excuse after excuse and before you know it, here I am, admitting to my Epic Fail.

Well, now that I've gotten it off my chest and broken the barrier, I'm here to tell you that I will be better. There are a lot of things that will hopefully be on the horizon for me that I'd like to share, so by busting the ugly cycle I've created we'll be able to do so. I will say, I am going to begin by finishing what I started back in the Spring. Even though the trip was so long ago, I feel I need to finish writing about it, if not for any other reason than its own posterity. I promise, fun stuff happened in the end of the trip and there are only a few more days to write about ;-) After that, plenty of interesting topics will follow. I must admit, I really need this more than anyone out there could need to read it. The failure has been more epic for me and my sanity, than anything else. Writing is who I am and the fact that I neglected it for so long is embarrassing. Thanks for checking in to see if I've posted anything. If you're still out there, I may ask for your encouragement to keep writing. Sometimes we all need a little boost, I know I sure do. I refuse to start this year out with the beginnings of another Epic Fail. Here's to a Grand Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment